Friday 15 August 2008

Question for Tim!


(Transcription made by Liz)

Tim says: (roughly) I think there are a few different things running through the record. It's definitely not anything close to being a concept album, so in some ways Under the Iron Sea was almost like a concept album in that it had got that almost under the Sea darkness, and so it occupied a particular space throughout the record really and this one is more varied, I suppose. Things are repeated like 21st century obsession with fame and being a star, everyone trying to be a star, wanting to live that 15 minutes of fame thing but then on the other hand, one of the other things is much more about a kind of war, I suppose. So you know, trying to approach that from a very sympathetic human point of view. Those two thnigs for example, don't really overlap. One of them is quite frivolous and the other one is quite fundamental and human and very serious... You know I don't feel there's one story on this record. I think it's kind a multicoloured story. What I hope with this record, is that every song has a sense of hope to it. I feel like everything in the song and not necessarily all fun and positive, still has a kind of human sympathy and positivity to it. I hope that every song is uplifting and then inspiring and positive even if it's trying to talk about something which is not necessarily happy. For me, a lot of my favourite songs are like that. I don't think a record has to leave you feeling? meek and depressed in order to be profound and touching and I definitely think this record is much more uplifting and exciting and has a hugely positive energy to every song. I think the overall record will have that same effect.

Completely agree with this man! There's no need for a song to be happy and flying- butterflies-stuff. I think that what it makes a song good is the way it causes an impact for someone. It's indeed really cool they finally found new things to talk about. Anyway, there won't be any problem cos Tim is a brilliant songwriter and the closest and newest proof we have is 'Spiralling'!!!

No comments: